The Township of Hornepayne, and our landfill contractor Hornepayne Service Centre, service the community with weekly curbside garbage collection and landfill site operation.
The Township does not offer a recycling program, however we do have a drop box for batteries through the Call to Recycle program at the town hall. You may also recycle your electronics and usable items at the Share Shack located at the landfill site.
Our Garbage Collection, Removal and Disposal By-law outlines the collection, removal and disposal of garbage and other refuse within the Township. View the by-law to learn more about:
- Collectible and non-collectible waste
- Garbage bags and containers (receptacles)
- Preparing garbage for collection
- General garbage nuisance
- Disposing of non-collectible waste
- Landfill tipping fees
We collect regular household waste through curbside collection every Tuesday. There is a weekly limit of four garbage bags per household at no cost and you must place your garbage receptacles at the end of your driveway. Have your garbage placed for collection by 7 a.m. on collection day.
All garbage, except ashes (solid residue of any fuel for heating, cooking and chimney cleaning), must be placed in plastic bags no larger than 36 inches by 24 inches and properly tied at the top.
You must place the bags in covered metal, plastic, wood or durable containers with proper handles and a water-tight cover, which prevents flies and odours. The containers must be no larger than 36 inches in height or 18 inches in diameter and weigh no more than 50 pounds.
We do not collect the following items:
- Any material which has become frozen to the receptacle and cannot be removed by shaking
- Bandages, poultices, dressings and other such waste
- Broken plaster, lumber or other waste resulting from the construction, alteration, repair, demolition or removal of any building or structure
- Carcass of any animal
- Celluloid cuttings, moving-picture film, oil-soaked or gasoline-soaked absorbent material and any explosive or highly combustible material of any nature
- Derelict vehicles or parts
- Hay, straw and manure
- Hazardous waste
- Liquid waste
- Live animals or birds
- Manufactured waste, including wire
- Motor vehicle tires
- Night soil
- Sawdust and wood shavings
- Stock of any wholesaler which is regarded as manufactured waste
- Swill or other organic matter not properly drained or wrapped
- Tree branches, roots or stumps
- White goods, including stoves, refrigerators, hot water heaters, et
We do not accept household hazardous waste (paint, oil, spray cans, propane tanks, etc.) through weekly garbage collection. Please store this material safely at home until our Hazardous Waste Day each year. Watch our news and notices for updates on the next Hazardous Waste Day.
We operate a municipal landfill transfer station on Becker Road, just past the cemetery. You can deposit waste at the landfill by paying an associated landfill tipping fee charge. You must check in with the landfill attendant before dumping.
- Mondays - Closed
- Tuesdays - 12 p.m. (noon) to 5 p.m. curbside pick up
- Wednesdays - Closed
- Thursdays to Sundays - 12 p.m. (noon) to 5 p.m.
The landfill site is closed on statutory holidays.
|Solid Waste Tipping Fees||Basis of Fee||Fee|
|Pick-up truck maximum of||Per load||$20.00 plus HST|
|Larger than pick-up maximum of||Per load||$50.00 plus HST|
|Trailer pulled by car maximum of||Per load||$50.00 plus HST|
|Semi dump trailer||$350.00 plus HST|
|Truck per cubic yard - taken by owner||Per yard||$10 plus HST|
|Picked up by landfill contractor or private contractor; rate to be negotiated between contractor and owner|
|Semi dump trailer||$350.00 plus HST|
|White goods (must be tagged)||Per unit||$10 plus HST|
|Tires (does not include rims)||Per unit||No charge|
|Batteries (automobile)||Per unit||$10 plus HST|
|Contractors to bill a minimum of 4 times per year|
|Demolition (tipping fees to go to Township)||$2000 plus HST|
Costs associated with disposal and burial are included in tipping fee to Township.
All fees to be increased by 10 per cent for non-resident users.
Share Shack (items with useful life)
Learn more about the Share Shack located at the landfill site. It is a designated area for items that still have useful life left and which could be useful to others.
For questions or concerns with garbage collection and the township landfill transfer station, please report your concern online or contact us at:
Steve Renaud, Landfill Operator
Landfill phone: 807-868-9942
Main phone: 807-868-2638
Public Works Manager